The idea of owning a room just for yourself – and no, we aren’t talking about your bedroom – but a room specifically designed for you, and only you, is something just about all of us have dreamed of owning.
What we’re describing has historically been known as a “Mancave” – and if you like that title, by all means, stick with it – but regardless of whether you call it that, or a SheShed, a MeShed or just “My Room” – here’s how to put together the ultimate space to elevate your spare time to a new level.
Planning is never the part of a project you most look forward to, but it’s vital to ensuring you end up with the best end product. You don’t have to have every detail down, but there’s a few things to consider before you start.
What are the features you absolutely can’t live without? How much space do you have to work with? Do you have enough power sources available? Is there adequate lighting? Will you need to install some form of climate control (i.e. heating or air-conditioning)?
Basically, what you’re ultimately figuring out is “how will you be able to achieve the space you’ve envisioned for yourself given the space you’ve got to work with?”
Filling it Up
Now comes the fun stuff. The only right way to create the ultimate “you space” is to fill it up with whatever works best for YOU. However, should you find yourself needing a little creative nudge, we’ve got you covered with some hints, suggestions and a few general must-haves below.
- Comfort – regardless of what you’re into, your space should be a place of relaxation, so comfortable seating should be your no.1 priority. Grab more than one, because sometimes the best ‘you time’ is spent with your best mates.
- Mini-Fridge – in the spirit of relaxing, an easy beverage should always be nearby so you aren’t constantly having to get up and leave just to have a drink. What those drinks are – beer, soda, or good old water – is largely immaterial, just as long as what you want is always nearby. Same goes for snacks.
- Coffee Machine – And whilst we’re on the subject of having your favourite beverage nearby, for many of us – that’s a good cup of coffee. Thankfully, the days when paying a barista was the only way to experience a warm cup of quality espresso are gone, as the user-friendly home espresso machine market is blooming. Making it incredibly easy and not too bank-busting to make your own café favourites without the café. So where better to enjoy some homebrewed caffeine than your private space?
- Themes – Make this place truly yours. The traditional image of a man cave often involves a big TV to catch the game, and if that’s what you’re into, have at. If you’re more of a movie buff, consider said big TV but with a surround sound system and a few movie posters to boot. If you have a particular passion, why not go all out with it? Fill it with maps, books, hang guitars on the walls – Whatever you’re into. You could even put up some relevant memorabilia on the walls. Create a place to totally immerse yourself in what you love.
Have we given you mancave (or she-shed) brain? Why not browse some of the sheds we offer.
From a quiet home office to an extra bedroom for teens, sleepout builds have only grown in popularity across New Zealand in recent years. These smaller spaces are a great way to add extra habitable space to your home and have the ability to increase your property’s value.
A flexible space
As a separate entity from your main house, a sleepout has a host of possibilities: a hobby room, extra storage, an art studio, a music room, a gym, a guest room, a home office and more. Whatever it is you need, you’ll have a space that’s versatile and adaptable, designed to meet your growing needs.
Boost your income
With a new space comes new opportunities; ones many Kiwis are tapping into. Using your sleepout as a short-term rental investment makes the build unquestionable value for money – an invaluable chance to increase your income.
Get building consent
Like anything, there are rules and regulations. With the help of your local KiwiSpan team, you’ll need to check you have consent before building a sleepout or cabin. This will include having your plan ready detailing:
- Dimensions of the project (height, total area)
- Location on property where the project will go
- Size of property in square metres
- Total area of your property currently covered by buildings
- Total area of your property currently covered by hard surfaces, for example, concrete or paved areas
We offer a range of stylish sleepouts and habitable sheds to suit everyone. Built with New Zealand fabricated steel, they promise strength, style and comfort.
Every one of our builds can be finished with quality insulation and aluminium joinery, ensuring full protection from harsh weather conditions.
We can help you build the sleepout of your dreams – adapting design to suit your specific needs.
Design your own or make an enquiry today.
We should note that not all KiwiSpan licensees offer habitable sheds as a service. Be sure to check with your local KiwiSpan team to understand your options – they’ll be happy to help.
Sheds have a lot more to offer than people might initially think. Improving your quality of life, they have the ability to transform your day-to-day in a number of surprising ways.
Here are just a few of the reasons it might be time to consider building a shed:
Having an outdoor storage space will automatically add value to your home. The added bonus of more space is a huge attraction to homebuyers, meaning you can enjoy the short-term benefits knowing the long-term also pays off.
Our hard-wearing, New Zealand Steel manufactured sheds provide complete protection against the elements. That means your vehicles or more expensive items won’t be ruined by moisture exposure and rust.
Build the right kind of shed and you’ll have a versatile and adaptable space that can change and grow with your lifestyle and situation. What might be a place for extra storage now may well be an art studio in five years time.
Everyone needs storage. A shed is the perfect solution for packing away Christmas decorations, toys, tools and more. Freeing up room in your living space and giving you a lockable area that can even serve to childproof your home.
We all need time to ourselves away from the hustle and bustle of family life. A shed makes room for hobbies, old and new. A workspace without distraction that allows you to work more efficiently or in a more creative way – opening the door to a whole new world of opportunities.
And these are just some of the reasons! With KiwiSpan, there are many styles of sheds to choose from, each easily adapted with our innovative 3D Shed Designer tool. You can create a model of the building you want, take walls out, add lean-tos, or rollers doors and more.
To start planning your shed contact your local KiwiSpan licensee today.